“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Watch: 19-Year-Old Iowan Zach Wahls' Electrifying Speech in Support of His Gay Moms


"Actually, I was raised by a gay couple and I'm doing pretty well." 
- Zach Wahls


The writer of Towerload couldn't have stated it any better when he wrote on his blog, "The bigots need to just give up now because teens like Zach Wahls are the reason they will eventually lose."

I can't and will never understand how one person or a group of people can rob another human being of a fundamental right.  It's just mind-boggling to me.  "We held these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," is simply false, and it was false back when it was written.

Slavery was running rampant, and almost every President, up until Lincoln owned slaves; George Washington himself had over one hundred.  The point I'm trying to make is that everyone has rights in this country. Not just one particular group or person.

When I watched this video, I couldn't help but shed tears as I watched this young man describe what it means to be a family, what it means for him to be a son of two gay parents, who love and cherish their children. I don't understand why there is so much hatred from the Republicans who wish to overturn everything we try so hard to live for.  All we want is to be treated equally, be given the rights bestowed upon us for being born in this country. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Art, I'm so glad to hear that. It is truly brave what this young man did in support of his mothers.

ryan said...

We will have all our rights, it's just a matter of time. Just seeing this young man speak should inspire all of us to have hope for the future that this new generation will be more understanding and sympathetic toward our fight for equality, which is something we should all never forget to continue to do. I am no activist, but I do vote. I may not have a podium to speak on, but I still do voice my opinion when I can. The other day I was eating lunch with my brother at Subway and these four guys, that were being loud and annoying to begin with, started harassing this younger group of obviously gay teens. I sat there and monitored what was going on and I told my brother that if it got any worse I was going to go up there and say something. One gay boy started shouting at them, but then another one went up to the four guys and talked with them calmly. I'm not sure what he said but then the other four guys left, without incident. I'll admit that I was intimidated by the situation, but I also was willing to put a stop to it if it did take a turn for the worse. It didn't because these kids stood up for themselves and got out of a bad situation, something I never could have done when I was their age. I was so proud of them and what they managed to accomplish. I wanted to go up and say something, but I needed to talk to my brother and I'd already ignored him enough. So instead, I gave them a small nod and a smile as they walked past us on the way out. One looked confused at why I was staring at them but the other saw my ring and smiled, or at least I think he saw my rainbow ring. I see this upcoming generation and I have strong hope for them. Though they still face the difficult task of coming out and being different and they still do not have their equal rights that they truly deserve; I keep seeing these younger kids realizing who they are so much earlier in life. By doing so, their changing the minds and attitudes of the people closest to them. Their helping create a more compassionate world that doesn't care if we serve in the military, visit our loved ones in the hospital and soon enough won't be bothered by the fact that we can get married and live happily ever after or end up devastated in an ugly divorce battle, just like they do. Once they realize that simple fact, that aside from our same sex partner, we're no different from them, we will truly achieve our goal of equal rights in this great country of ours. I know that I will live to see that day and I truly hope and pray that I get to share it with my love when the time finally comes. We will get married when we can afford it, legal or not, and it will be a gorgeous ceremony involving all our friends and family. Even before that we are still a very strong and committed couple without a little piece of paper saying so. But when that paper says that our relationship matters and that the law, the state, and maybe one day the federal government has our back and is on our side, it suddenly becomes very important. Every voice fighting for it and all our rights become extremely crucial and necessary. Any brave Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian, Transgendered, or Straight person willing to fight for equality must be valued and appreciated because they are all truly priceless. To Zach and the boys in that Subway, if by some chance you're reading this now, know that we will be equal one day in this country because of you. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you.

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter