“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Battle Rounds

Did any of you watch "The Voice" last night?  It was absolutely television at its best.  No, it literally was.  If you missed the first two weeks of auditions, that's okay, because this part of the series is even more exciting. I was kind of hesitant at first, but after Ryan and I watched last night's episode I had a change of heart.  I can definitely sit through 4 weeks of battle rounds compared to "let's go home" episodes of American Idol.


The way it works is, each judge, Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, and Adam Levine have 8 contestants.  They are to choose 2 members from their team, and let them know what song they're singing.   Once they learn of the song, they are introduced to a celebrity friend of the judge who will help mentor and advise them in preparation for the battle.  Christina chose Australian singer, Sia, Blake chose famous country diva, Reba McEntire, music producer, Adam Blackstone assisted Adam, and Cee Lo chose singer, Monica.

The stage is set up to look like a boxing ring (minus the rope) - it's very glitzy.  The singers are introduced by Carson Daly of MTV fame, and they walk onto the stage to sing their battle song.  Whoever comes out the victor will be performing in front of a live-studio audience in front of America, but their win in this round solely relies on their judge.

In the following video, Frenchie and Tarralyn Ramsey battle it out, singing, "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" by Beyonce
Frenchie took home the win, and I definitely agreed with Christina on this. I thought Tarralyn had an attitude problem that needed to be adjusted. She wasn't very respectful. I'm 1-0.

In the following video, Patrick Thomas and Tyler Robinson battle it out, singing, "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley.
 
I totally disagreed with Blake Shelton on this, and so did my partner, Ryan.  I think he made a mistake playing the "country card" in choosing Patrick.  He needed to look at the fact that it would be much easier for Tyler to move beyond his vocal ability in the live competition.  Patrick could be his downfall, because of his inability to go beyond a "country music" mentality. 1-1

In the following video, Tim Mahoney and Casey Weston battle it out, singing, "Leather and Lace" by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley.
 
 I agreed with Adam's decision on this one - If Casey were to move forward in the competition. I think it would be a lot easier down the road. 2-1

In the following video, Vicci Martinez and Niki Dawson battle it out, singing, "Perfect" by Pink.
 
Wow oh Wow!  And what a battle it was!  This was definitely the best performance of the night.  My fingers were crossed that it would be Vicci taking this home, and it was!  I was thinking Cee Lo was going to pick Niki, but he obviously felt what I felt, Vicci was ripping it up "hardcore" and he saw something there - he saw a winner! 3-1

As I mentioned earlier, if you haven't seen this, you should.  It is definitely a million times better than IDOL.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I think I'd give the chocolate twinks...I mean twinkies a try. My bad. But the rest just make me want to vomit.

Ryan said...

Great show with already better talent then the last couple of season "winners" of American Idol. Very disappointing that Tyler went on home, but at least he got to show us a little of what he could do and that he's an amazingly talented guy who happens to be gay and proud of who he is. Hopefully his dad will one day come around. The only thing they need to fix on this show is the host. With all the personality of the judges and contestants Carson Daily just seems invisible and boring. He's hot, don't get me wrong, but something tells me it won't be enough to keep him on till season 2, if there hopefully is one.

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter