“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Movies to Watch: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark


I'm sorry, but movies back in the 70's were so damn creepy, it would make your skin crawl.  Seriously, you had the Amityville Horror, Halloween, The Exorcist, The Shining, Jaws, and even "made for TV movies," like "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark."

Due to Hollywood running out of ideas, they remade every movie I just mentioned with the exception of Jaws.  Don't get me wrong, they've made countless of shark movies since Jaws, like the one I just mentioned 2 days ago, but none of them will ever measure up.

I'm writing this post, because the 1973 "made for TV movie," "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" was just remade, but at least it was directed by someone who knows how to make movies, Guillermo del Toro.  If you have never seen any of his movies, you should.  His movies, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Orphanage (which sadly, they're re-making), were so good, they put many of Hollywood's producers to shame.  Ryan and I had the pleasure of watching The Orphanage last night, and it was exceptionally good.  The movie leaves you appreciating the people you love and believing in them when things go wrong.

The remake which stars Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce is described by Rotten Tomatoes as a young girl who...
inadvertently unleashes a race of ancient monsters while exploring her father's 19th century mansion in this horror remake written by Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins, and directed by newcomer Troy Nixey. Introverted Sally Hurst (Bailee Madison) has just moved in with her father, Alex (Guy Pearce), and his girlfriend, Kim (Katie Holmes), when she realizes that their sprawling estate holds its fair share of secrets. Descending into the depths of the house, Sally gains access to a secret lower level that has lain undisturbed for nearly a century, when the original builder vanished without a trace. When Sally accidentally opens the gateway that kept the creatures locked up tight, she realizes that in order to prevent them from destroying her family she must convince her skeptical father that monsters really exist. ~ Jason Buchanan
Watch the trailer here.


While the movie feels much like a Guillermo del Toro movie, watch the original 1973 made for tv trailer after the jump, it's really creepy.

As I stated at the start of my post, "movies back in the 70's were so damn creepy, it would make your skin crawl.


 

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Looks extra creepy, and knowing that Del Toro is behind it makes me even more eager to go sh!t myself scared while seeing it.

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter