“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cover Wars - Issue No. 3

It was during a dance routine by Billy and Kaitlyn on So You Think You Can Dance, that introduced us to Christina Perri's hit song, Jar of HeartsThe moment I heard it, I loved it.  

I've experienced so much of what the song is trying to convey.  I dated guys who were with me for only 2 or 3 months, then they'd leave. It was heart breaking.  Furthermore, you'd see them with someone else a week or so later, crushing your heart even further.  Then, they'd leave them too.  These guys were just collecting their "jar of hearts," because unbeknownst to them, they were breaking people's hearts without a care in the world. I thank God everyday for giving me Ryan, who's been with me for 6 years!

This is only my third issue of the series, because of the amount of time it takes me to put this together.  The premise behind "Cover Wars" is to get your opinion on who you think is the "best of the best" when a YouTube artist performs a cover to a popular hit, like Adele's current song, "Rolling in the Deep" or Madonna's, "Like A Prayer".

This week's battle has an unprecedented 16 contenders. I literally went through several hundred covers of Perri's song, to find the ones I wanted competing against each other. I chose 36 covers, and out of those 36, I siphoned out 20.  It is now up to you to decide which of these 16 wins the battle.  Out of all these, one of them made me shed a tear, can you guess which one that was?

I have listed each of the contestants in the playlist from 1-16, starting with the current reigning champ, Sam Tsui, and his cover of Jar of Hearts.

01. Sam Tsui
02. Maddi Jane
03. Quanah
04. Kait Weston feat. Tyler Ward on Guitar
05. Matt Beilis
06. Sara Neimietz
07. Kris Cunningham feat. Sophie Lowe
08. Tiago Braga
09. Ebony & Anth
10. Step aka Fonzy91
11. Alex G. feat. Jeff Hendrick on Guitar
12. Umberto aka emotionsinfluences
13. Brandon Skeie
14. Omar
15. Kevin
16. Ben Chambers

27 comments:

Soy Loco Moco said...

yay! cover wars! love this post!

Robert said...

Hey Peter, it seemed like we were waiting for ever. haha. I'm voting for Ben, that tore me up. I say you cried with that one.

Rita said...

oh god, I love Ebony and Anth's cover!

Michelle said...

No way Rita, I like my Italiano. Step is hot.

Ezekial said...

Sam Tsui rocks!

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn for me.

Jason Nesbitt said...

Matt Beilis voice is raspy and makes the track sound unique.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I'm stuck between Sara and Ben

Meils said...

I love me some Omar, hot damn.

arlandbaee said...

Maddie Jane

Anonymous said...

if you all take the time to listen to quanah, the melody he introduces midway through the song is cool. check it out. quanah for me.

Casey said...

I think chris and sophie need a little more work. i remember seeing them on your first post when they sang rolling in the deep. if they ever come across this blog, and see this, i support you both :)

-Casey

Unknown said...

Hi Casey, actually Kris featured a friend of his, Natalia in Rolling in the Deep. This time around, he is featuring another friend, Sophie.

roc-o-rama said...

Ben Chambers, geez that was powerful

Soy Loco Moco said...

Sam Tsui - no one can compete.

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ soy loco moco, Ben for me. I finally made my decision between him and sara. It's Ben!

Casey said...

Thanks Peter, my mistake

Anagram said...

Sammy boy please! I love him - he's the best!

imat123 said...

Sara!

Anonymous said...

Quannah version is cool

sammy samo said...

I'M VOTING FOR SAM TSUI

Ryan said...

Sam Tsui is the best. And he's hot too.

Patrick said...

I'm in love with Ben!

Rashad said...

Omar take me away....

roc-o-rama said...

Hey Peter, when does the contest end?

Unknown said...

Sometime today or tomorrow, I will make an update.

Michael said...

I'm following my heart for Sam Tsui!

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter