“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Must Watch: Mr. Rogers Amazing Speech to the Senate

Most of you know who Mr. Rogers is.  He is the famous television host of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood that aired on PBS for 33 years. He wrote all the scripts, did all the puppets, and wrote all the music for his show.  

I remember my mother plotting me down in front of the television to watch this show, along with Sesame Street.  And you know what? I'm glad she did!  I hardly spoke any English at the age of 6 and 7, and I attribute these shows to helping me become a Spelling Bee contestant and winner as I went from grade to grade.  I had 12th grade spelling by the time I was in 5th or 6th.

Rogers, educated as a minister, was displeased with the way television was addressing children, and he made every effort to change this over his career, and he did.  During the Nixon Administration, the president wanted to cut funding to the Public Broadcasting Service, and Mr. Rogers was having none of it.

He went directly to the Senate offices in 1969 and spoke for 6 minutes of what was supposed to be a 20 minute speech, and got $20 million dollars for it.  One of the senators, Sen. John Pastore, a Democrat from Rhode Island (the same man who had led a crusade against the impropriety of commercial broadcast network TV content - wasn't exactly inclined to approve the funding.) went so far as to say,  "I'm supposed to a pretty tough guy, and this is the first time I've had goosebumps for the last 2 days."

The story only gets so much better, but you have to see the video to see, hear and feel what I'm talking about.  It's pretty darn emotional -- pretty darn amazing.  I love you, Mr. Rogers.  You have made a difference in my life, and I thank God for you.

6 comments:

Jessie Mackey via Facebook said...

Well...Peter my friend you continue to make my days a little brighter and you give me hope when I feel there is none. Thank you Peter for finding these wonderful pieces of absolute HOPE and kindness and education that pulls us back from the daily input of murder, sex, hate, hopelessness, disappointment, shame, and all the other things that the news though out this poor old world confronts us with every day. I loved Mr. Rogers and it was so wonderful to spend a few moments with him again. Thank you what a different place our world and our communities would be if our kids turned on to him or someone like him every morning instead of the garbage that they bombarded with before they start their day. Keep up the good works Peter, you are needed and you are truly appreciated.

Jessie Mackey via Facebook said...

"Shared a link"

Unknown said...

Awww, Jessie, that was so sweet of you to say. You made me tear up. I try to post something for everyone, and while many may disagree with my political views, gay rights, or my undying love for the man I call a trick of fate, "love" is the key to everything in our lives. As long as you can love a mother, a child, a father, a husband, a wife, a democrat, a republican, and so forth, you will always make a difference in someone's life. Regardless of how this world turns, you hold the key that makes this world turn. Never throw it away, because the moment the key is gone, hate will take its place. That is not you, that is not me.

Franklin Johnson via Facebook said...

I remember Mr. Rodgers, and Sesame Street too! Loved those shows, & learned something at the same time too!!

Ryan said...

What a great man he was. I remember watching him too, hearing his kind and caring words, and singing "Welcome to My Neighborhood" with him everyday. I remember the puppets and all his many sweaters, but most of all I remember how I felt when he said those very words he said in the video above: There's no person in the world like you, and I like you just the way you are. I felt loved. Yes, of course I knew how much my parents loved me, but considering that I've always felt like nothing, even at an early age, it was unbelievable to hear such kind and heartfelt words everyday from this stranger that didn't even know me, and still make me feel like someone special that meant something. With so much hate in this world of ours, we truly need another Mr. Rogers to be there for kids that just want to feel love no matter who they are. Thank you, Mr. Rogers, for helping me early in life as you have helped so many others.

Unknown said...

simply beautiful my love, simply beautiful. brought me to tears as I read it. I love you so much. And you're right, I wish there was another Mr. Rogers around.

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter