“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?” - RuPaul - - - - - - - - - - - “if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.” - John F. Kennedy - - - - - - - - - - - - “Imagine finding someone you love more than anything in the world, who you would risk your life for but couldn’t marry. And you couldn’t have that special day the way your friends do – you know, wear the ring on your finger and have it mean the same thing as everybody else. Just put yourself in that person’s shoes. It makes me feel sick to my stomach …. When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘ALL LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me – they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’ The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” - Pop star Miley Cyrus on her marriage equality tattoo - - - - - - - - - - -
Loading

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What Keeps a Gay Man in Shape?

FEAR!

Yep, and "this is brought about because gay men are afraid that they will be alone for the rest of their lives. If a gay man is not "serving body" while competing to find a trick or boyfriend in one of the more muscle-bound climates of gay culture, he will be sorely shut out. That is why gay men don't get fat, because if they don't have pecs, guns, and glutes, they're going home alone." - Brian Moylan on Simon Doonan's new book, "Gay Men Don't Get Fat".

Moylan goes on to say there are three things a gay man wants; to get buff, married, and stay buff.  And the reason?  Threesomes!  

He says "there are countless committed gay couples out there who like to either play on the side or invite guest stars into their beds. And you're not going to get any A-list guest stars if you're giving D-list torso with a four-star gut. Yes, gay men go to the gym to stay competitive, but since the man-eating marathon doesn't end after marriage, they just keep on competing and competing until death do they part."

While this is not the case for many gay couples, Moylan did write some very interesting points in his Gawker article.  The Instinct article left out a majority of what Brian had to say, but that sure didn't keep Instinct commenters from posting harsh comments about him.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Lord, while there is, unfortunately, a lot of truth to that in the more shallow parts of our gay community, I'd like to think that there still are gay couples out there that love each other unconditionally no matter what they look like. The concept of gays being as hot as can be also came from reacting to the emergence of AIDS back in the 80's. It was a goal of trying to not look sick, deathly and weak for other gay and straight people alike. Now, along with attention seeking and getting the best by being the best, it's also a way to try and stay young forever. What I'm sure the author also mentions is that being overweight is not the only thing gay men fear. Let's just say that there's a serious Peter Pan syndrome that's always been among the gays, especially in the clubs. But why are we pretending that the gays are the only ones that want to be pretty and young forever? I'm sure a plastic surgeon's clientele isn't all gay. Well, I'm pretty sure anyway. Point is simple, people are people. We're imperfect mortals that always want to prove to others that we're better than that; even though we're not. We will all die someday and ironically enough, in my opinion, the most fortunate of us will be lucky if we do get to be on this earth long enough to age with beauty into our wise senior years. Sure, I'm gonna hit the gym tomorrow to work off today's Chinese dinner and small yet deadly ice cream desert, and of course when I turn 30 in three plus years I'll be bawling my eyes out, but that doesn't mean that I'm not grateful for all the precious time that is given to me on this crazy Earth of ours or that I'll be prideful, stuck up or mean to others during my years when I think I look the best that I've ever been. I'm not perfect, I'll never be and I accept that as well as the simple fact that life's too short to be wasting it on negative feelings, botox, and waiting for that "perfect" looking man that's even hotter than me and loves me too. Give me a break. Looks are nice at first, but if you can't eventually look past them to see the true inner beauty of how someone really is and still love them unconditionally for it, even when there looks fade one day, I promise you this: You will be forever dancing the night away in that club, waiting for the man of your dreams that will never show, because all you can see is the vanity that has consumed your life. If you can't love yourself then how the hell are you gonna love somebody else? True, but if you can't open your heart, as well as your eyes, then you'll never truly see what love is really out there waiting, just for you.

I have organized my blogs with 3 days worth of postings, so if you wish to continue reading the days before that, and so forth and so forth, you can click the "Older Posts" button /\ /\ /\ right /\ up there.

There are 3 other ways you can find interesting topics to read as well.

*Clicking on any of the links under my "Favorite Categories" section on the left hand side of your screen

*Using the Google Search bar under the scrolling text.

*By choosing a date from the drop down list on the right hand side of your screen.


Hope you enjoy my daily posts, and hope to hear from you soon.

- Blade 7184 aka Peter